Shilpgram, Udaipur – Art and Craft Event in March 2021
It is always said that the culture teaches a lot to generation from generation. One such example you can see is when you visit Udaipur. Udaipur is the perfect place to witness the true Rajasthani culture which has a touch from Mughals, and European style architecture with vibrant touch.
Udaipur is not just a city of lakes but here you can find the richness in culture and heritage which can be depicted in the arts and crafts. Popular among locals and tourists coming from all over the world, here at Shilpgram you can witness the lifestyle of tribal people of Rajasthan.
Situated in the western part of the Aravalli Hills and lush greenery, Shilpgram, considered as a living place and a museum of arts and crafts. Not just this, but at times Shilpgram holds workshops for all age to spread the culture and heritage of Rajasthan.
Here are some of highlights when can be experienced when you visit Shilpgram.
- You can see beautifully constructed hut of different kinds from different locations which displays the architectural qualities of culture and heritage. There are about 26 huts which include five from Rajasthan, five from Maharashtra, five from Goa and seven from Gujarat.
- The huts are open for visitors to take a look at the construction and here you can also find textile items, decorative household objects, articles of metal, wood and clay, agricultural tools and ceramic toys, artifacts and lot more.
- Each and every hut in the Shilpgram adds to the saying “Unity in Diversity”.
- Vendors selling items that come in use in day-to-day life which has a touch of the tribal lifestyle- this is a must to collect from the vendors as it will add a charm to your home and work space.
- You can see here the urban ceramists, potters, visual artists, designers displaying and selling there masterpiece.
- Here you can find the never seen before collection ethnic wear such as traditional dresses, bandhani, silk sarees, and much more.
- Visitors can directly interact with the tribal and folk people to get close and know the culture and traditions.
- There is an open air amphitheatre in Shilpgram where you can witness the traditional Rajasthani performance executed by the tribal and folk people.
Things To Do in Shilpgram, Udaipur
- Learn about the sheer diversity of the culture and heritage by visiting as many as huts constructed in Shilpgram.
- Take a camel ride around the Shilpgram village to have a majestic view.
- Wear a traditional Rajasthani costume offered by vendors and get photographed to take back home as a memory.
- Collect souvenir from Shilpgram
- If you are a shopaholic then this is the place for you. You can shop here the traditional dresses, bandhani, sarees, artistic jewellery of oxodised, silver and handcrafted jewellery to go with your matching dress.
- Taste the local foods at the stalls
- Enjoy the glimpse of Rajasthani dance with mesmerizing music.
- Sit back and relax while listening to the melodious songs sung by local artists.
- See art exhibitions; interact with the carpenters, potters, blacksmiths, weavers, needleworkers, and all the other occupational dwellers.
Shilpgram festival starts from 13 March 2021 to 19 March 2021
Shilpgram opens at 11 AM and closes at 7 PM.
The fee for adult is INR 30, child is INR 15 and foreign visitors is INR 50
The best time to visit Shilpgram is December. This is because annual fair is conducted in December, however, you can visit anytime during the year.
You can take water bottle as Shilpgram is spread across 70 acres. Make sure to carry camera as photography is allowed here.
Here are some of the best places to visit in Udaipur.
– Shilpi Restaurant
– Fateh Sagar Lake
– Sajjangarh Palace or Monsson Palace
– Bhartiya Lok Kala Mandal
– Bahubali Hills
– Rajiv Gandhi Park
Shilpgram is an easily accessible from any location. Located about 10 km away from Lal Ghat, 23.3 KM away from Airport, 2.4 KM from railway station.
Visit Shilpgram Udaipur Shopping – Village of Arts & Crafts for more about Shilpgram.